Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 6

Today I am not starting my blog with lyrics...instead, I would like to share a poem that has been very close to my heart since my 8th grade year.  This poem was shared with the Mighty Snider Panther Marching Band every year before our biggest competition of the season.  Our band director, Mr. Klee, would put this poem in our "poop" sheet (information sheet) and then read it out loud to the band...

"When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to a mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn't your parents, your children, your wife,
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

Some people may think you are straight-shooting chum
And call you a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the fellow to please.  Never mind all the rest.
For he's with you clear up to the end.
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of life
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass."

I put this poem up in my apartment to remind myself to always be true to myself.  If I cannot look myself in the eye and tell myself the truth then nothing else matters.  Having self confidence and respecting one's self is the only way to go through life.  This poem rings true in every aspect of life but especially when embarking on a new journey.  I am beginning a new stage in my life with this internship and if I do not respect the (WO)man in the glass then I have no business being here.  I will never make it through six months in a new place without having self confidence and being able to face myself in the mirror.

Day 6 is the photo of this poem hung up in my new apartment...
It is placed in an area (in between my bed room and the bathroom) that I will be sure to see it every day and every day I will be reminded to respect the (wo)man in the glass.

Tomorrow is another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment