Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 7

"Oh how the years go by
Oh how the love brings tears to my eyes
All through the changes, the soul never dies
We fight, we laugh, we cry, As the years go by

There were times we stumbled

They thought they had us down, We came around then
How we rolled and rambled
We got lost and we got found
Now we're back on solid ground"

---Vanessa Williams, "Oh How The Years Go By"

Today I realized the power of family.  Mom and I met a cousin, Ken, in Carlsbad for lunch.  The last time we had seen him was probably at least 15 years ago.  I would have been 4 or 5 and certainly do not remember it.  As we walked up to the restaurant, Ken was standing outside with a huge smile and arms out for a hug.  To me, Ken is pretty much a stranger.  I knew his name and that he lives in California but that is about the extent of my knowledge of him.  And yet, I got the world's biggest hug from him and felt completely comfortable.  After catching up with him over pizza, he told me I can call him if I need absolutely ANYTHING while I am out here.  A man who was a stranger to me yesterday is now someone I can count on while I am out here.  That is family...people I can count on all over the world and even if I do not know them very well, they are people I can count on if I ever need them.  No matter how many years it has been since I have seen my family members, they are always people I can call when I need help.  Ken is now another amazing family member on my radar...
Day 7 represents the family that I can always count on no matter what!  I cannot imagine not having my family to lean on and learn from throughout life.

Tomorrow we are going to see another family member I have not seen in a few years!  I cannot wait to visit San Diego and explore with Steven.

No comments:

Post a Comment