Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 13 and 14

"It’s alright dear ‘cause I’m right here
Here comes the night and the three of us are young
Look in your eyes and I see the horizon
Purple skies and every song I’ve sung
‘Cause music is a photograph of the way I feel
And I’ll be taking all 24 making sure it’s real
And what I see is so pretty it’s proof enough for me

You’ll never have to ask if I know this thing is true
‘cause I do I do I do looking at you
Every day that comes to pass girl I know you’ll see me through
Yes I do I do I do looking at you looking at me looking at you"

---Lee Coulter, "Photograph"
My apologies for not writing last night.  I have no real excuse for why I did not write but I will tell you all about my last TWO days now.  I spent the last two days moving around from department to department in the office.  I did a lot of work in the Contact Center with databases and shift covering.  It is really interesting to do work in the databases because it helps me to understand the membership process and the variety of people who are members of NAMM.  When i was not working on that I was learning all there is to know about the Museum of Making Music.  I have officially learned (in less than a week) how to open, close, and do just about everything in the museum.  Now let's just hope that I can retain all the information and put it to good use on Sunday when I will be working all day.  Today, Katrina and I redid some of the displays in the museum store and it was so much fun to be creative with the merchandise.  Maybe on Sunday I will try to take some pictures of my creativity. :-)

Tonight I attended my first event as an intern of NAMM.  The museum puts on live music throughout the year of varying types of music and styles.  Tonight was a "Local Flavor" night and the performer was Lee Coulter.  Lee is actually from Australia but has lived in SoCal for the past 5 years.  The music was awesome and Lee has a great voice!  This was a rather small event (only 140 tickets available...and sold out) but it really made me think about the live music scene.  I am glad that I got out and began experiencing the SoCal music scene.  I am looking forward to more concerts and events in the future.  It really makes me think about how much I want to be involved in this scene in the industry.  Live music has always been a passion of mine.  I love to go to concerts and really see and experience the music along with the artist.  An artist may have great music but without amazing stage presence they are nothing.  So many artists are "studio" artists but in order to make money in the industry anymore, an artist has to be able to perform and perform well.  Sometimes, the live performance is even more important than the artist's sound.  I think about Taylor Swift.  She has an awesome stage presence which is what keeps the fans so excited about her music.  She may not have the top vocals but the fact that she writes her songs about things that everyone can relate to and since she knows how to put on a great show, she has become the top selling artist for the last two or three years!  Live music is the past, present, and future of the music industry.  It will never die unless people all the sudden decide they do not like entertainment.

Since I missed a day of blogging I will add two pictures for today...Day 13 picture is of the incredible sunset while I was driving home from work the other day...
 
Day 14 is Lee Coulter...it would be a picture of him performing tonight but my phone was not cooperating when i tried to take pictures so here is a promo picture instead 
I hope you enjoyed and I hope you consider going to see some live music in the near future. Live music is the FUTURE of the music industry but can only live on with everyone's support!

No comments:

Post a Comment