Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 11

"Music gives a soul to the universe,
wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination,
and life to everything."

---Plato

Today was the day I have been waiting for.  It was the beginning of the end of my college career and the reason I am writing this blog.  The quote came straight from the front page of my intern guidebook and I thought it fit the theme of the blog and of my internship in general.  I met about 70 people today.  70 people that I can rely on throughout the next 6 months; 70 people that *hopefully* have the contacts that I will need to gain a job in the music industry.  Everyone was so nice and kind and I could not ask for a better staff of people to work with. 

Today's focus was training on most of the basics.  I learned about the systems that NAMM uses and the little things I will need to know for every day work around the office.  I also learned about the Call Center and covering for the receptionist, Joy, while she takes her 2 breaks and lunch during the day.  Her desk is just about the coolest thing ever, it is made out of a grand piano!  It is so awesome to sit behind a grand piano desk.  I was also asked to help out with an event that will be happening on February 14 at the NAMM offices in the evening!  I am looking forward to becoming more involved with the events and hope to have many more chances to learn about the events industry throughout my time at NAMM.

This morning when i walked in, I was greeted by a sousaphone (which was really cool!)  I know what you are thinking...how is that possible?  Well, Day 11 shows what I mean...
This sousa is what NAMM uses to post any messages they want everyone to see on the way in.  I also am special enough to get my own nameplate at my desk...
Tomorrow I begin work in the Museum of Making Music (learning to open and close) and I will help inventory the stock room and mail room (a project that the person currently working on would like some help with).

Livin' the dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment