Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 48

"Come with me where the fire burns bright,
We can even see better by the candle's light.
And we'll find more meaning in a campfire's glow,
Than we've ever found in a year or so.
 
On my honor, I will try.
There's a duty to be done and I say aye.
There's a reason to be here for a reason above.
My honor is to try and my duty is to love.
 
We've a promise to always keep.
And to pray "Softley Falls" before we sleep.
We are Girl Scouts together and when we're gone,
We'll still be trying and singing this song."

---GSUSA, "On my Honor"

Girl Scouts have been a part of my life for pretty much as long as I can remember.  I joined in kindergarten and it was one of the biggest parts of my life for 13 years!  Today, as I was working the front desk, there was a group of Brownie Girl Scouts that came in to do a tour of the museum.  As they were gathering in the lobby, I heard some of the NAMM employees talk about their memories of Girl Scouting when they were little.  It is amazing the amount of people who have been influenced by scouting.  Whether they were members for a year or two or their entire lives, the memories live on forever.  I will never forget the jamboree where we learned the song "Stay on the Happy Side."  I will never forget awful falafel.  I will never forget the Myrtle skit, the Pooh Tree, SWAPS, the destination trips, or the friends that I now have all over the world.  These are memories I will be talking about when I'm 85 years old in a nursing home with people who probably wont remember what I said five minutes after I say it.

Day 48... 
One of the many troop 740 camping adventures.  I can only hope that when I have kids some day, they enjoy scouting as much as I did when I was younger.  I truly believe that it taught me to be the person I am today.  I had so many experiences over the years that many people who were not involved in scouting may NEVER have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment