Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 66

"Seen that ray of light
And it's shining on my destiny
Shining all the time
And I wont be afraid
To follow everywhere it's taking me
All I know is yesterday is gone
And right now I belong
To this moment to my dreams

So I won't give up

No I won't break down
Sooner than it seems life turns around
And I will be strong
Even if it all goes wrong
When I'm standing in the dark I'll still believe
Someone's watching over me"

--Hilary Duff, "Someone's Watching Over Me"

Almost nineteen years ago Thomas "Carter" Flueckiger was born.  Little did his parents know how many lives he would touch.  Last night I lost a dear friend and an amazing man.  Carter was taken from this world far too soon and I don't know if it will ever understand why this had to happen.  About six weeks ago, Carter was admitted to the hospital due to shortness of breath and a collapsed lung.  Shortly after this, a tumor was found and Carter was diagnosed with cancer.  He fought hard.  He fought long.  But this disease was too much for his body to handle and last night he was taken to the heavens to watch over all of us.

I think the first time I met Carter was while visiting Cantebury to see my cousin, Michelle, in the school musical in middle school.  I can remember Carter's love for the technical aspect of theater.  This is what he was going to school for at Webster University before he was diagnosed.  I don't think I ever saw Carter without a smile.  He was always a happy and carefree kid.  I can remember babysitting him and his younger sister once or twice.  We always had a good time and neither of them were ever terror children that babysitters fear.  More recent, I remember Carter's graduation party...there were so many people there from many walks of life.  It was great to see all of the people that Carter touched through his schooling.  I can remember this summer when I house sat for the Flueckiger's.  Carter made sure that I had all the information I needed to take care of the dogs and the bird while they were gone.

I will never forget Carter and still can't believe he was taken from us too soon.  Kick butt up in heaven, Carter!  We know you will ;-) I know you will be watching over all the people you touched over your 18 incredible years of life.
R.I.P
We Miss You

No comments:

Post a Comment