Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 141

"Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookn' back it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are,
Where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when
 
Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when"

---Alan Jackson, "Remember When"

As I was sitting here trying to write a generic letter to send to potential employers, I began thinking back on the last 22 years.  I was trying to remember when my love for planning and putting things together came about.  This brought up some interesting memories.  I think some of it comes from my mom.  She always seemed to love the details and planning of putting together my birthday parties.  She would plan EVERYTHING to make sure that my friends and I had a good time.  She would create decorations that were within the theme and whatever theme we chose was completely followed through the entire party.  I doubt I recognized it then (or appreciated it as much as I should) but looking back now, it was awesome what my mom did for me.  THANKS MOM!

Then I starting thinking about myself.  I used to LOVE putting together little shows and performances with my cousins and friends.  I remember when my brother got an acting kit for his birthday.  It has scripts and everything.  I specifically remember one was a commercial for a box of cereal.  We rehearsed it, under my direction, and then performed it for the family.  I remember creating a band with the neighborhood kids even though none of us played REAL instruments (and we wore green and white pom poms on our heads).  I especially loved putting together holiday skits and songs.  I would plan out the entire thing, do rehearsals with my cousins, and then perform for the family.  One year, we did a song about everyone who was over for thanksgiving and we sang the song as we seated them.  I think that was the same year that we made seating cards for every one with cornucopias on them made out of bugles and runts.  Perhaps our most "famous" and longest running production was the Butterfly Cafe.  We had a theme song, a dance, and even menus.

As I got older, my planning skills moved from planning little performances and shows to planning to attend performances.  I would plan out of town trips with my mom to go see Stevie Brock (amongst other performers) all over the midwest.  I enjoyed planning every little detail and many times I planned it before asking my mom...that way she couldn't say no.  She had all the details she needed from the second I asked if we could go.  These planning activities, as well as others, led me to where I am today...and where I want to be in the future.

I remember when....don't you?
One of the many parties mom planned for me...the teddy bear party.

No comments:

Post a Comment