Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 144

"Girl Scout camp, Girl Scout camp,
The buses that they give you, they say are mighty fine,
But when they turn the corner, they leave the wheels behind!

Oh, I don't wanna go to Girl Scout Camp
Gee Ma, I wanna go, but they won't let me go,
Oh Ma, I wanna home.

Girl Scout Camp, Girl Scout Camp

The toilets that they give you, they say are mighty fine,
But when you sit upon them, a bug flies up your hind!"

---Campers, "Girl Scout Camp"

Today I was reminded about camp and all of the fun I had over the years attending Girl Scout Camp.  Almost every summer I would attend a sleep away camp and a day camp.  I met so many amazing people and friends that have lasted a LONG time.  When I was old enough, I became a PA (program aid...like a counselor in training) and did that for several summers in a row.  When I was finally old enough, I spent a summer as a counselor and had a blast.  It was like a whole different world.  When I was at camp, everything was different.  We had special names for things (greenies, camp names, etc.) and special songs and games.  It produced such great memories that I will never forget.

This picture is from my last year at a day camp called Ashgrove Adventure before I moved from Virginia to Indiana.  Each year there was a different theme for the two week day camp.  My last year was an Egyptian theme and our unit was called the Jazzy Jammin' Jewelers.  Oh how I miss you Girl Scout camp...

No comments:

Post a Comment