Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 148

"1 2 3...1 2...1 2 3...1 2 1 2
1 2 3 1 2 3...1 2 1 2"

Mighty Panther Marching Band 2003, "First Circle"

Well it's official....I miss marching band!!!!!  I spent the evening watching the marching band DVD from the 2004 season (Third Wind).  It is coming up on the time of the summer where marching bands are beginning to rehearse.  Not being in Indiana during this time is weird.  I should be showing up to Snider rehearsals to help the band prepare for the Three Rivers Parade and instead I am in California and not seeing ANY marching bands at all.

Marching band encompasses some of my most memorable moments in my life so far.  I spent 5 years marching with the Mighty Panther Marching Band.  I remember marching in rain or shine; in mud or snow; in blazing sun or freezing cold.  Even the worst parts of marching band somehow have fond memories.  The sucky 8 hour practice days in August have memories of everything paying off in October.  My first year when I fell at Regionals and was POSITIVE if we didn't go to State it was my fault led to us going to state and incredible memories of the first time I was in the air lock and saw the blue doors open to the Dome.  My junior year, when Billy broke his arm the day before our first competition and I sat out a performance and Mr. Klee announced to the entire band that some of their stupidity may have led the loss of a tuba player....well OK...that season didn't end so swell but there are still some fond memories of that year.  I am so blessed to have had an incredible band around me for those five years.  I grew up with them and they are the reason I turned out the way I did.  I would NEVER have wanted to be apart of another high school marching band.  My favorite show is probably a tie between Il Sogno my senior year and First Circle my freshman year (sophomore year in the band)...

College marching band was a fun experience also!  It wasn't the same as being a part of a competitive high school band but I have many memories.  College marching band is how I met my best friend for the next four year, Chels.  In fact, it is how I met most of my friends at Indiana State.  Cheering on a losing football team for two years kind of sucked but the traditions and music kept our spirits high.

Marching band is a family.  It is a group of people that will be down when you are down and be flying high when you are flying high.  It is a way of life...and for 7 years, it was MY way of life.  I will never forget the incredible people I met and friends that I made along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment