Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 147

It's official!!!!! June 9, 2012 I will be rocking out on the National Mall with 200,000+ other Girl Scouts.  Today, GSNC (Girl Scouts of the Nation's Capital) announced the official date of the 100th anniversary sing-a-long in Washington DC.  I have attended each sing-a-long since they began.  1997 (85th birthday), 2002 (90th birthday), 2007 (95th birthday) and I am not about to miss the big one-zero-zero!!!!

I attended my first sing-a-long as a brownie girl scout.  My mom and the rest of the parents took a group of 15 brownie girl scouts, on the metro, down to the National Mall to sing songs and celebrate Girl Scouting.  All I really remember from this sing-a-long (other than what pictures show me) is just the mass of people that were covering the mall.  I had never seen so many people before in my life.  I remember that we all had bright pink hats on because the adults figured it would be easy to spot us if we got away.  Soon, these hats were covered with SWAPS.



The next sing-a-long was in 2002.  The summer before, I had moved to Indiana. The sing-a-long was the perfect reason to go back to Virginia and visit all my friends.  Our group was MUCH smaller but we attended with a girl from my troop in Indiana (Katie) and her family and a few girls from our troop in Virginia (Rachel and Jacy).  It was a lot of fun.  This is also where I ended up coming up with my camp name, Pom-Pom.  They were giving away red, white, and blue pom-poms and some of the girls had put them in their hair.  I decided that I could put one in my hair when I went to camp as a program aid and that could be my camp name.

The 95th celebration is by far the most memorable.  I had just graduated from high school in Indiana and right after we finished dinner after graduation, my family piled in the car and we drove 11 hours to Washington DC.  The most exciting part about this sing-a-long was that I was PERFORMING on stage during the event.  A group of girls from my destination trip to San Fransisco in 2005 gathered for the 95th birthday and performed on stage with Melinda Caroll at the event.  It was so much fun to see everyone and spend another awesome Saturday celebrating Girl Scouting.

I am looking forward to the 100th celebration and I hope to see as many of my friends from my two troops and four destinations trips at the mall to celebrate this awesome experience.  It is truly a once in a life time experience (GS will only turn 100 ONCE!)  So mark your calendars and join us on the national mall for Girl Scouts 100th birthday celebration on June 9, 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment