Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 130

"Rock-a-bye, baby
In the treetop
When the wind blows
The cradle will rock
When the bough breaks
The cradle will fall
And down will come baby
Cradle and all"

---Every mom singing to their baby, "Rock-a-bye Baby"

I find this to be a very interesting lullaby since the baby is in the cradle that falls out of the tree!  Why would a mom want to sing about falling out of a tree to their child?  It just does not make sense.  Wouldn't that hurt?  Falling out of a tree, I mean?!  To me, the mother is the primary protector of the child.  Listening to nursery rhymes is really interesting once you start to listen to exactly what is being said.

And the reason for this sudden realization about nursery rhymes and lullabies...I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy today and I have no clue why!  I am pretty sure that I was ready for bed by 6PM...but I am forcing myself to stay up because other wise I would be waking up at some extremely early hour and it would just make me more tired tomorrow night.  Oh the joys of not being able to sleep in.  Ever since I moved to California, I haven't been able to sleep past 8:30AM no matter when I went to bed!  And often time 8:30 would be the second time that I woke up that morning.  This blog can't at ALL be interesting today.  Sorry for that!

Ok...I think I have stalled long enough...time to hit the hay...
(I take zero credit for this drawing although I think it is pretty clever) Hit the hay...how in the WORLD does that mean you are going to bed? Have no fear...I know you were wondering that exact thing...and I have the answer for you!  Beds used to be made out of hay and so obviously...hitting the hay meant going to lay down in your bed made of hay!  OK...so that was an easy one but I still think it is a strange phrase.  And I still don't understand why a mother would want to sing to their child that the cradle is going to fall out of the tree...thoughts? discuss!

1 comment:

  1. Oh the random thoughts of a new aunt who is sympathy tired all the way in California! :-)

    ReplyDelete